55 mins until you're eating
Feeds 4 hungry mouths
- 6kg whole chicken
- 1 x packet of F. Whitlock & Sons Roast Chook Killer Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp rubbed oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to season
- Fresh oregano leaves to garnish
- Wash chicken and dry with paper towel. Place on board, breast side down. Using scissors or a knife, cut along both sides of the backbone. Open out chicken and turn over. Press down with heel of your hand to flatten the sucker out.
- Place chicken in a large snap lock bag. Add half of the Roast Chook killer sauce, garlic, rubbed oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper to season, and seal bag. Rub well to coat and whack it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Stand chicken, in the bag, at room temperature for 15 minutes. Ask it for any last requests. Meanwhile, get the oven on to 200°c/180°c fan forced.
- Place a greased wire rack in a roasting pan. Remove chicken from bag. Stick it skin side up on the rack and roast for 25 minutes.
- Baste with remaining killer sauce from the zip lock bag. Roast for a further 30 minutes or until charred and cooked. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Not you, the chicken.
Heat remaining Spanish Chicken killer sauce in a small saucepan. Cut chicken into portions. Serve chicken with char grilled vegetables of your choice, sauce and garnish with oregano. Alternatively shred chicken and serve in crusty bread rolls with coleslaw.