15-20 minutes until you're eating
Feeds 4 hungry mouths
You will need:
- 4 x 100g pieces sirloin or rump steak 1- 1.5cm thick
- ¼ cup F. Whitlock & Sons BBQ Mustard Thick Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- 8 thick slices ciabatta bread
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Extra F. Whitlock & Sons BBQ Mustard Thick Sauce
Get down to business:
- Place the steaks in a single layer in a shallow dish. Mix together F. Whitlock & Sons BBQ Mustard Thick Sauce, garlic, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Pour over the steaks. Turn the steaks to ensure they are well coated in the sauce. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for 2 hours, or overnight if wished.
- Heat a dash of oil in a pan. Add onions. Cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the onions are caramelised and tender.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Place the steaks on a rack and grill for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Alternatively cook on the BBQ if it's not raining too much.
- To assemble, toast sliced ciabatta under the grill or on the BBQ. Spread half with mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, tomato slices, grilled steak, caramelised onions and a good dollop of F. Whitlock & Sons BBQ Mustard Thick Sauce.
- Cooking the onions slowly over a low heat helps draw out the sweetness and caramelises the onions. Too high a heat and the onions will burn before they are properly cooked.